top of page


Do I need an MC Number?

If you are operating in any of the capacity, then YES you do need an MC Number in addition to the USDOT Number.

  1. Transport federally - regulated commodities owned by others or arranging for their transport (for a free or other compensation, in interstate commerce).

  2. Transport passengers in interstate commerce (for a fee of other compensation, whether direct or indirect).


Now that I know I need my authority, what type of authority do I need?

  • Motor Carrier of Property (except household goods) - Carriers transporting regulated commodities, for hire - not including household goods (aka. moving companies).

  • Motor Carrier of Household Goods - Carriers transporting household goods for the public, for hire. This would be moving companies and includes products shipped from a factory of store intended for use in a home and transported at the request of the householder who pays for the transportation charges.

  • Broker of Property (except household goods) - Anyone who receives payment for arranging the transportation of property belonging to others by using a Motor Carrier.

  • Broker of Household Goods - Anyone who receives payment for arranging the transportation of household goods belonging to others by using a Motor Carrier. Household goods are personal property that will be used in the home. A Motor Carrier who provides and of the following is also required to have a household goods broker authority - binding and nonbinding estimates, inventorying, protective packing and unpacking of individual items at personal residences, loading and unloading at a personal residence.

  • Freight Forwarder - Arrange transportation of goods by FMCSA licensed carriers. Freight Forwarders issued bills of lading to shippers and are responsible for the loss of or damage to the goods. Freight Forwarders usually ship freight under their own BOL's and can even store freight at their warehouses.


​Getting your authority is a process involving several different steps prior to issuance by FMCSA. You can skip the confusing Federal applications, avoiding potential mistakes that make a mess and take extra time to be corrected. Contact us by email to find out how we can help.

or call us at 512-456-7142

bottom of page